By guest blogger Julie Daniluk, Nutritionist, author and TV host
More than 66% of North Americans are overweight according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Poor dietary choices can contribute to our expanding waistlines. Let’s look deeper into natural remedies you can use to safely and effectively turn on the fat burning furnace in your body.
It’s one of the most important supplements for your body. How does fish oil help us lose weight? Omega-3 fatty acids inhibit key enzymes that are responsible for fat synthesis, enhance fat breakdown and rev up our fat burning engine, while preventing free fatty acids from entering fat storage .
Omega-3 fatty acids also promote recovery from exercise and exercise-induced inflammation. Another great benefit is the increase in insulin sensitivity, preventing diabetes!
A recent study comparing the effect of omega-3 added to a low calorie diet versus simply dieting for weight reduction showed higher weight loss, a larger decrease in BMI, and a significant decrease in hip circumference in the group which was given omega-3 .
Another study showed that omega-3 fatty acid intake modulated satiety, and led to feelings of fullness in overweight and obese volunteers during weight loss .
While working to lose weight you need to limit your carbohydrate intake, especially refined carbohydrates. To compensate, you should increase your protein and fiber intake.
Hemp seeds are particularly interesting as a food that can help in the weight loss process. Hemp seeds have a fantastic creamy texture filled with healthy fats and protein, containing all of the essential amino acids your body requires.
Raw hemp provides a broad spectrum of health benefits, including: weight loss, increased and sustained energy, rapid recovery from disease or injury, lowered cholesterol and blood pressure, reduced inflammation. When eating Hemp seeds, expect to be hunger-free for 2-3 hours.
Other healthy tips for weight loss
- Eat small meals frequently - 3 meals and 2 snacks.
- Stay hydrated - drink 1.5 L of pure water daily. If you don’t like the taste of water, try herbal tea!
- Eat 2 pieces of fresh fruits and 7-10 vegetables a day.
- Avoid white flour, white rice, sugar and refined foods.
- Balance blood sugar levels by eating every 2-3 hours.
- Reduce belly fat with stress busting yoga, tai chi or mediation and deep breathing exercises.
- Exercise 3-5 times a week for 20-30 minutes.
- Consume enough protein, based on your weight (1- 2 grams of protein per kg of weight, depending on how much you work out).
- Don't eat late in the day or 3 hours before going to sleep.
- Get to sleep when the first wave of fatigue hits – usually around 10 pm.
1 Li JJ, Huang CJ, Xie D. Anti-obesity effects of conjugated linoleic acid, docosahexaenoic acid, and eicosapentaenoic acid. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2008;52:631-45
2 Kunesová M, Braunerová R, Hlavatý P, Tvrzická E, Stanková B, Skrha J, Hilgertová J, Hill M, Kopecký J, Wagenknecht M, Hainer V, Matoulek M, Parízková J, Zák A, Svacina S. The influence of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and very low calorie diet during a short-term weight reducing regimen on weight loss and serum fatty acid composition in severely obese women. Physiol Res. 2006;55:63-72.
3 Parra D, Ramel A, Bandarra N, Kiely M, Martínez JA, Thorsdottir I. A diet rich in long chain omega-3 fatty acids modulates satiety in overweight and obese volunteers during weight loss. Appetite. 2008;51:676-80.